Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 June 2022

Annie Ross & Zoot Sims

Annabelle McCauley Allan Short (25 July 1930 – 21 July 2020), known professionally as Annie Ross, was a British-American singer and actress, best known as a member of the jazz vocal trio Lambert, Hendricks & Ross.

1. I'm Just a Lucky So And So
2. You're Nearer
3. I'm Nobody's Baby
4. Lucky Day
5. Invitation To The Blues
6. Your Driving Me Crazy
7. Invitation To The Blues
8. Everything I've Got
9. I Didn't Know About You
10. I Was Doing All Right
11. You Took Advantage of Me
12. I Don't Want To Cry Anymore
13. Bones For Zoot
14. Funky Old Blues
15. Brushes
She recorded seven albums with Lambert, Hendricks & Ross between 1957 and 1962.
Ross left the group in 1962 and in 1964 opened a nightclub in London. Annie's Room hosted Joe Williams, Nina Simone, Stuff Smith, Blossom Dearie, Anita O'Day, Jon Hendricks, and Erroll Garner.

Most of this record contains one of singer Annie Ross' finest sessions away from the premiere jazz vocal group Lambert, Hendricks and Ross. She is joined by either Zoot Sims or (on two numbers) Bill Perkins on tenor, pianist Russ Freeman, Billy Bean or Jim Hall on guitar, bassist Monty Budwig and Mel Lewis or Frankie Capp on drums. Ross' renditions of such tunes as "I'm Nobody's Baby," "Invitation To The Blues," "I Didn't Know About You" and "You Took Advantage Of Me" are highlights. 
Also on this set are five instrumentals taken from samplers that showcase the talents of Zoot Sims and Russ Freeman.

          9. I Didn't Know About You
         12. I Don't Want To Cry Anymore

1 comment: