Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 March 2018

Colin Davis & BBC Symphony Orchestra ..320 Kbps


We now have a great classical L/P with a difference....Explanations my be necessary for people who don't get our English peculiar ways !..Imagine over 6000 people going to a classical concert and brings with them.. Slogan Banners ! Gaudy Umbrellas ! Silly Hats ! Boaters with Union Jacks On Them ! Toy Trumpets ! Squeakers ! Referee Whistles ! Streamers ! Balloons ! and So on !!...recommend that you read the Back sleeve to get the whole of the picture !!
Side two is a corker !!...and the whole Concert is well worth a listen too.....This was recorded in 1969 and 1971...It would be great to hear from anyone who has been to a  "Last Night At The Proms" at the Albert Hall London and hear what they have to say !!

Just a little bit of the back cover notes to give you an idea of how it all started !!







This sound  bite is just a track of the rehearsal of the above "The Stone Wall"....to hear what happens you will have to have a listen !!


5. The Stone Wall

5 comments:

  1. A nice reminder of how the last night once was. I attended in 1970 and 1975. Recollection of 1970 is vague, but Colin Davis was the conductor. By 1975 he had handed over to Norman Del Mar, and on that occasion I remember Anna Howells was the mezzo who sang Britannia. The tradition of the last night dates back to Sargent and the 50s, being a "thank you" to the Promenaders for their steadfast attendances. Tickets were usually allocated by ballot, but if you booked for (I think) 12 concerts your name automatically went into the draw. Whatever, I was lucky on two occasions. Living, at that time, in Harrow I would attend around a dozen or so each season - which ran from July until September. Things have changed a great deal and the Proms now cover a much broader music base - whether that's a good thing or not is open to debate. I have very fond memories of warm July and August nights in the hall, most particularly in the late 60s when Adrian Boult, John Barbirolli etc made regular appearances. I also remember a very innovative concert when the Soft Machine were involved (around the time of their Third album). It all seems so long ago. My last visit was in 2015 when I heard Bernard Haitink conducting Mahler (4th Symphony) and I will probably do a prom (or two) this year. However, I will be in the Royal Festival Hall in June to listen to Simone rattle conducting the Berlin Philharmonic - which will be the last time he brings them over before taking up his new post with the LSO. Tickets are an arm and a leg, but I won't be getting another chance so lets blow the pension!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry...Thanks for all your comments that you have made to my blog and thanks especially for this one...this is exactly the kind of comment I had hoped to get !..it must have been great for you to be there...Unfortunately my musical tastes in the 70's did not include any classical ! that came later !!...But I would have loved to have gone !!now as you say it will be very different in 2018 !!!...Thanks again...Cheers...Luigi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleasure Luigi - your blog gives so much pleasure it is good to be able to contribute in comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Up Dowload ok now on Zippyshare !

    ReplyDelete